(How often have I encouraged my actors
“to do something LIKE it’s the first time”,
but to ACTUALLY do it for the first time
is something altogether different.
Like childhood, when you keep discovering.)
Wim Wenders: Instant Stories, Schirmer/Mosel, 2017
Rediscovering or reliving, adding something new to the world or preserving something of value – the new year is full of possibilities. May it be a happy and fulfilling one for all! We at the Wim Wenders Stiftung look back with gratitude and ahead with great anticipation at the projects still to come.
PLACES AND TRACES
- It is with particular eagerness that we await the new unveiling of a key work in Wim Wenders’ filmography: the 4K restored version of WINGS OF DESIRE will be screened in the scope of Berlinale Classics on February 16th 2018. The restored film is also slated to open in select German and French cinemas this spring.
- For the German/French travel journal Stadt Land Kunst Wim Wenders took a trip back to the Berlin of the 1980s, revisiting some of the sites where WINGS OF DESIRE was shaped, including Potsdamer Platz, Staatsbibliothek, Gleisdreieck and many others – tune in to TV channel arte in March/April to join him on this journey back in time.
- Wim Wenders has been named Guest of Honor at Toute la Mémoire du Monde (March 7th-11th). His involvement in the festival is to include a carte blanche, a master class, a lecture and a film series at the Cinemathèque Française in Paris – the very institution where he discovered cinema long ago, leading him to give up painting for film.
- At the presentation of the 30th European Film Awards on December 9th 2017, in his role as acting president of the European Film Academy Wim Wenders appealed to the continent’s filmmakers to (re)commit themselves to what is undoubtedly one of the most crucial joint undertakings of our time.
ARCHITECTURES OF COMMUNITY
- In a conversation between Peter Zumthor and Wim Wenders held at Kunsthaus Bregenz on November 12th 2017, the two artists revealed their plans to explore a new film project together.
- Pursuing the ongoing aim of preserving cinematographic heritage, Wim Wenders will happily join the directors of the VoD platform La Cinetek. Dedicated to the major films of the 20th century, selected and presented by directors worldwide, La Cinetek will publish his list of 50 favorite films this February.
- At the invitation of Harvard University / Mahindra Humanities Center, Wim Wenders will give two lectures as part of the Charles Eliot Norton Lectures in Cinema: “Poetry in Motion” on April 2nd and “The Visible and the Invisible” on April 9th 2018.
- We are very excited that Eibe Maleen Krebs (2014 recipient of the Wim Wenders Grant of the Film- und Medienstiftung) will soon be celebrating the theatrical release of her cinematic chamber drama “Draußen in meinem Kopf”. The film will premiere at the Max Ophüls Festival on January 25th 2018.
- On the basis of previously unpublished film materials and documentation related to WINGS OF DESIRE, the Wim Wenders Stiftung is currently developing a new master class format, to revolve around the notion of a “sense of place” central to the work of Wim Wenders.
- In July the critically acclaimed exhibition “Instant Stories: Wim Wenders’ Polaroids” will move to the C/O Foundation in Berlin (July 7th to September 23rd 2018) – Londoners and visitors to the British capital can still catch the show until February 11th at The Photographers’ Gallery.
- The book INSTANT STORIES (403 polaroids and 36 stories) has been published by Schirmer/Mosel and Thames & Hudson.
- At the invitation of the international literary festival lit.COLOGNE Wim Wenders will come to Cologne on March 13th 2018 to talk about books and texts that have influenced and inspired him throughout his life.
Photo: film still from WINGS OF DESIRE, 1987 © Road Movies GmbH/ Argos Films, source: Wim Wenders Stiftung